Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

ML350: Michael!

Customer Question

Hello Michael!
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I don't know how to use Justanswer I would love for anyone to answer.I have an ML350- 2006.Liftgate does not open. I hear the motor whirring but it is not releasing and the motor stops after about 5 seconds. If I manually release from inside I can unpop the liftgate. I tried adjusting the catch (u hook) on the bottom trim but it did not solve the problem.Once forced open it will close and lock using the button or key.I have heard mention of fluid levels or leaks, etc. but I need guidance to possibly see if this is an issue.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with this today.

The biggest issue for this fault here is the rear hatch latch itself.It fails to release electronically and causes the noise you hear without the release.If it was not lifting or lowering automatically but was releasing and latching properly then this would be a concern with the hydraulic lift that a leak may occur with or a weak lift motor but this isn't the case on this model here.

The latch inside the rear tailgate fails and needs replaced to correct this fault.Mercedes has released a technical service bulletin on this fault as well.Bulletin number T-B-72.20/59e.The new latch is slightly updated.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.