Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

I have a 97 Mercedes-Benz E320 3.2L, Vehicle currently will

Customer Question
not start, if you spray...
I have a 97 Mercedes-Benz E320 3.2L, Vehicle currently will not start, if you spray starting fluid in the throttle body it will start and run for 2-3 seconds and stall, then can re-start and it will run for 2-3 seconds and stall, then nothing after that.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercedes
10/28/2015
Mercedes Mechanic: FIXITMAN, Master Technician replied 2 years ago
FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. From what you are explaining, if the vehicle runs with starting fluid then you have a fuel system issue. It is more than likley a bad fuel pump, but it may also be an issue with the control circuit for the pump also. Did you plan on fixing this yourself?

the things I have checked so far is the fuses under the hood, I scanned the vehicle and have no codes in history and pending, replaced the fuel pump, checked fuel pressure and have 48 to 54 psi while cranking at the test port on the fuel rail.

Do you have an RPM signal when cranking the engine over?

I cant remember what it is but I can check

I am curious to know if the scan tool will communicate with the computer when this occurs. It sounds like the PCM may be losing power.

when cranking I'm able to monitor some readings, if that helps I read a bunch of places that the cranks sensor can cause this but I do get the rpm reading while cranking.

If you are getting an rpm reading then the sensor should be reading fine. Do you have a noid light to see if the injectors are being powered up?

nope, I can get one tomorrow does it take anything special

No. We just need to start by checking to see if the injectors are coming on. I am concerned about the fuel pressure being at the lower end of the specification, but I do not think that it is the issue either.

battery's low on charge so that might not help, I have a charger on it now, I believe when you key up the car it gets up to 60psi but while cranking it drop down a little, is there a way to check the injector pulse without a noid light.

You can use a voltage meter set on AC and see if there is a reading while cranking.

while cranking with meter set to ac I get 11.1v

Does the voltage fluctuate or hold steady?

seems to hold steady but I was using a low end meter my better ones are at work so take this into consideration

If it wanst fluctuating then that tells me that the injectors are not cycling. A noid light is needed to be able to tell for sure. if that is the case then the computer is not opening and closing the injectors. When you crank the engine over and over and then pull a spark plug is it dry ot does it smell like raw fuel?

I haven't pulled a plug to smell but when it does fire, it does smell bad, I did notice that if it sits for awhile it will generally start and run for 2-3 seconds if this helps

Have you checked to see if the fuel pressure reading is the same when it runs for those 2-3 seconds as opposed to when it does not run? Also, have you checked to see what the air flow reading is when cranking the engine?

fuel pressure seems to be the same, I would have to look and see I can see the air flow reading, I did clean the mass air flow with mass air flow sensor cleaner (I know that's a 50/50 shot)

If it is not reading correctly then it can keep the vehicle from running. Try unhooking it to see if it attempts to start any differently.

unplugged and tried then re-plugged and tried seem to be no difference

Thank you. It appears to be getting spark and fuel pressure and is lacking getting the fuel into the engine. It sounds like the injectors are not cycling. It is possible that the computer is failing or that there is a missing input, possibly a cam sensor.

What should be my next step

The noir light to see if the injectors are firing. If your scan tool is capable also see if there is a cam sensor reading.

I will get the tools and then let u know what I find

Please let me know when you can and we can continue as needed. Thanks and have a great night.

Rented a nous light set from autozone and tried a couple different lights and no visible light coming from them and when I first cranked the car it did start and run for about 4-5 seconds then stalled and then re-started ran 1-2 seconds then stalled never saw the noid light light up

If you are not getting any light from the noise light then you have an issue with the injectors powering and opening. Did you happen to check the smell of the spark plugs like I had previously mentioned?

I have not been able to pull the plugs yet I won't be home till late Sunday so I will pull them and check

No problem. Just let me know when you can

Pulled a plug the car currently has bosh platinum 4 in it which are solid black, also are extremely wet and heavy fuel smell is there a fuse or relay for the fuel injectors just so I can double. Check

If they smell like fuel then there is fuel getting into the cylinder. I know you said there is spark. When it does start momentarily does it run good or very poorly.

It doesn't sound or feel like its missing and the car doesn't shake around I am able to throttle it up a down with gas pedal
Got any info for me

We may have been looking into the wrong things. It sounds like something that possibly may be electrical shutting down. It may be the fuel or engine relay or a failing ignition switch.

are there any test or checks I can perform were are these relays located
can I get a response I need to get this problem resolved, or should I look for another person who could help, thanks.
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 2 years ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi, my name is***** can help. If you have power to one of the terminals at the injectors when you turn the key on but you are getting no injector pulse when you crank the motor but the car will fun if you spray ether into the intake it tells you that the crank sensor is good and you have spark to the plugs. Since you have already confirmed that you have fuel pressure the problem is going to be with the anti theft system. The first thing you should do is try another key if you have one. Also try locking and unlocking the car with the remote. You can also try disconnecting the negative battery cable for 30 minutes then try starting the car.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty

The car currently only has one key and the key fob doesn't work for me to get in the car I insert the key into the passenger door which unlocks the doors and turns the alarm off then I have about 30-60 seconds to get to the drivers side and start or the alarm will go off I believe this car has an aftermarket alarm on it do to the second key fob that's with the keys is not factory and that also does not work

How do you turn the alarm off once it starts?

I put the key in the passenger door and lock the car then it stops I will not let the car turn over while going off
My mistake on a prior post the extra fob is for a garage door opener so I assume that the car is using the factory alarm

Are you able to test for 12V to the injectors?

Previous person had me check with the meter set to a/c because I didn't have a noid light at the time and when I did that I had 11v while cranking I did check voltage on d/c but can't remember won't be able to check till I get home tomorrow but the noid light never lighted up while cranking
I did get the car to start and run for about 10-15 seconds today but it would only run while having the throttle pressed and then when I went to let it idle it stall and won't refire haven't tried to start it since Sunday also sometime when the car starts then dies it will say some type of electronic faillier saying across the display but can't remember what it says exactly because it doesn't show it all the time

If it ran on it's own for 10 - 15 seconds you were getting injector pulse. Would it have continued to run if you didn't let it idle? Have you tried running it with the mass air flow sensor disconnected?

That was with the mass air flow disconnected the I reinstalled and nothing then unplugged it then nothing then reinstalled the noid light and nothing

Ok, first check for 12V to the injectors and let me know what you find. Connect your black lead to ground and probe the terminals of the injector with the red lead. One terminal should have 12V with the key on. Also see if it will run again in the morning with the mass air flow sensor disconnected.

Will do
Checked voltage at the injectors on one wire have 12v and the other I have 6v unplugged the mass a engine ran 2sec and shut off and won't restart after stalling the display says check engine, engine electronics

Can you give me the history of this problem?

As in

As in how this all started.

The car isn't mine so I will try to do what I can to tell u about 2 months ago the car wouldn't start in the morning the owner played with the car and felt it needed a fuel filter, when to go install the filter and before he did he tried to start the car and it ran till now the car wouldn't start won day and he looked at it and felt it needed a fuel pump because it would start with starting fluid, he installed the fuel pump and car still will not start then he asked if I could help and now I'm asking for help
Any ideas
Got the key fob working no the car locks and unlocks with fob but still has the same problem any ideas
Marty
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician