Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

Changed my merc c320 2005 transmission oil after changing

Customer Question
radiator leak. the oil lines...
changed my merc c320 2005 transmission oil after changing radiator leak. the oil lines showed dark oil and was thinking that there was water contamination. so I wasnted to flush the system first with some cheaper atf and then put the expensive oil in later.
after changing filter and oil the car now won't go into revers or drive. no supisious noise. Used merc dipstick for right level but get confused : when engine running in park and dipping , I can feel the pan, but still can go deeper . I think the plastic at the end goes flat into the pan , I guess
I took the battery off for 30 min then hooked it on again for 30 min at no avail.. question; should the cheap oil be good enough for going into gear?
and why was I able to drive it into the garage and after putting oil in , it won't go into any gear?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercedes
Car was driving ok before oil change, but just because of the contamination , I wanted to change it.
10/27/2015
Mercedes Mechanic: Michael Warfield, Factory Mercedes-Benz Technician replied 2 years ago
Michael Warfield
Michael Warfield, Factory Mercedes-Benz Technician

How much oil did you put back into the transmission?

pulled the pan first, was dirty with thicker than normal oil, then cleaned filter with break clean, dried it and put the old filter back in, filled to the point that the dipstick would say when cold. started engine and tried gear. Nothing!
Changed the oil again, took about 8 quarts out though the filler tube...then refilled .....nothing....pulled the pan again and replace with NEW filter and filled up to dipstick level ( cold) ( hard to read the dipstick since once it feels it is on bottom , I can still push it further and then I get a reading of overfilled. , I guess I am flattening the plastic tip flat into the pan when pushing further
refilling I did 2 quarts first and then checking every time untill dipstick showed oil
running engine in park of course after innitial 2 quarts

I'm sorry the website was down for a while, I couldn't access anything

It takes about 3.5 qts from removing the pan and changing the filter. Are you sure you filled it up through the dipstick tube and not the engine oil fill tube next to it?

there is no other tube sticking out. the one coming out had 90 degree bend to the drivers side
The only thing I was baffled about, when I had the pan pulled, I could not see the stick. Does this gets stopped by the bottom part of the transmission? I expected to be able to push it right though and see it underneath coming out
Working , cannot call

Only the engine oil tube sticks out, the transmission tube has locked cap more recessed in the back of the engine.

can we continue tomorrow some time? I need to do something now and the next hour!

Sucking out 8 qts doesn't make since, are you sure you didn't suck out the engine oil? The transmission cap has a lock on it as long as its installed properly. Then engine oil tube looks the same but with just a pull out plug. I'll post a picture and you can view it tomorrow.

In this picture, the arrow is pointing toward the engine oil dipstick tube, not the transmission fluid dipstick. You have to remove the air cleaner and look deeper more towards the center back of the engine to see the transmission dipstick. You probably sucked out the wrong one and added transmission fluid to the wrong dipstick. It actually happens all the time to a lot of backyard mechanics.

there is no other dip stick tube

You can kind of see the longer higher engine oil tube in the left side of the picture. The transmission dipstick tube has that style cap on it and only that style cap.

will have to se tomorrow morning. how can I re contact you?

The transmission dipstick cap says "MB workshop only" printed on it.

I'll get notified when you reply back on this chat and I'll check when I have a free moment.

Michael Warfield
Michael Warfield