Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

My key fob stopped responding to locking/unlocking the car

Customer Question
and now it stopped working...
My key fob stopped responding to locking/unlocking the car and now it stopped working to when I turn it in the ignition
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercedes
10/20/2015
Mercedes Mechanic: Michael Warfield, Factory Mercedes-Benz Technician replied 2 years ago
Michael Warfield
Michael Warfield, Factory Mercedes-Benz Technician

How long has the key not been unlocking and locking the car?

I'm also assuming you have no spare any where?

No spare! Just got this from a used car dealer. The nearest MB dealership is an hour away.It stopped working about 3 weeks ago so I replaced the batteries. Just tonight it stopped working when i turn the key.

I would say the key batteries could be dead if it was just the locking function that was inoperative but the key is designed to still start the car even with out any batteries. The batteries are just to send the radio signal for the remote unlocking/locking.

btw.. the remote lock/unlock never worked after I replaced the batts

Does the dash and cluster bulbs light up when you turn the key? Does the steering wheel unlock?

Okay so I'm guessing that I'll need a new key
no and no

Most likely it is just a faulty key then. The only way you can get a new one is to show up in person at a dealership with your registration and valid driver's license. Then the key has to be ordered. That is the policy in the U.S. at least. Canada might be a little different so I would call the dealership and ask them what their policy is on ordering keys.

Keys usually cost around $200-250 U.S. dollars.

Michael Warfield
Michael Warfield