Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

I have a 2004 CLK 320 and I went through a large puddle of

Customer Question
water at speed and the...
I have a 2004 CLK 320 and I went through a large puddle of water at speed and the water came over the front hood. I continued driving the car for about 5 miles until I reached home, where I turned it off. The next day I could not start the car. Over time, a couple of days, I wore out the battery and since the car has approximately 97,000 miles I have replaced the spark plugs, bought at the dealer, installed a brand new battery and changed the air filters. The car will still not start. A couple of times when I have attempted to start it the starter goes and then stops and the belts do turn but just for a second. Other times it turns over but doesn't start.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercedes
10/8/2015
Mercedes Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 2 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.

There is a possibilty that it is hydrolocked. Were either the spark plugs or the air filter wet with water when you replaced them

The air filters were slightly wet when I replaced them. The spark plugs were not wet but as I said in my initial question they had approximately 97,000 miles on them.

HI,

Ok, with the air filters being wet, this means air was sucked up thru them and into the intake manifold and then into the cylinders.

Remove the spark plugs, pour 1-2 tablespoons of automatic transmission fluid into the the spark plug holes and let set for an hour or two. Then put in neutral with parking brake set and use a socket and breaker bar on the crank pulley nut and turn engine over several times by hand. Now reinstall the plugs and try to crank

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer isYES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager