Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I have a '91 MBZ 300E 4matic with 164800miles. Symptoms:

Customer Question

I have a '91 MBZ 300E 4matic with 164800miles. Symptoms: car dying (mostly on intersections). It takes 20 min. to 1 hour to be able restart. This can happen daily or every few weeks. No pattern
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, the most common cause of this problem is either a bad fuel pump relay or a bad ignition control module. You need to check to see if the fuel pump runs when cranking the motor when the car will not start. If the pump doesn't run I would replace the fuel pump relay. If the pump does run then you need to test for spark from the ignition coil. If you have no spark I'd suspect either a bad ignition control module or possibly a bad crankshaft position sensor or ignition coil. If you find that there is spark from the coil and the fuel pump runs I would suspect a bad distributor cap and rotor.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm just following up with you on the Mercedes. Was my answer helpful?

Marty