Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I have a 2006 430S with 53,000 original miles that had a

Customer Question

I have a 2006 430S with 53,000 original miles that had a catastrophic electrical failure from water under the carpet requiring over $5,000 work at local MB dealer paid for by my insurance company. Everything worked fine when picked up. The first rain the wipers worked. Stopped the car and the wipers never worked again. Dealer said the EIS needs replacing. Turned supplement $1,400 into insurance company for EIS replacement. They denied claim because the switch was not located where the water damage occurred. I think the catastrophic damage affected the entire electrical system and compromised the EIS because of low voltage from the shorting battery from the water damage while trying to start the car.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.

I am not sure what your exact question is - whether it is possible that it is related or how to prove it to the satisfaction of the insurance company, or how to appeal the decision

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In your opinion is it possible or probable that the catastrophic failure of the electrical system caused or could have caused the EIS failure?
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

HI,

Based upon my experience with flood damage vehicles when I lived in central Florida in 2004 and dealt with 3 hurricanes that year, yes, it is not just possible, but most likely that the damage to the EIS due to shorting in the wiring harness under the carpet, which causes both low voltage conditions as well as occasional voltage spikes.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?