Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I have lost the key to open the trunk of my 2002 clk430

Customer Question

I have lost the key to open the trunk of my 2002 clk430 convertible. How can I get the trunk open? I need to get access to the battery to charge it. Greatly appreciate any help you can give me.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.

Does yours have the optional switch inside the vehicle to open the trunk? If it does, let me know and we may be able to jumper it to open the trunk that way

Also, does yours have solid or split rear seat back

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in NJ and the car is in FL. I left the valet key with someone so they could take care of the car while I was away. They were supposed to run the car every week or so to keep the battery charged. Unfortunately, they didn't run the car enough so now the battery is dead. I don't know where the key is that can open the car trunk to get at the battery to charge it.
I cannot remember whether the car has a trunk switch inside. I don't think it does. I also think that the back seat is solid.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ouch, that severely restricts options. With a solid rear seat and no switch to jumper, the options are either to hire a locksmith to come out and try to pick the trunk lock or to simply drill it out to open it and then install a new lock cylinder. There is no way into the rear area with a solid rear seat due to structural metal design behind it.

Sorry, I understand it doesnt really help you, but there simply is no other way

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If there is a switch on the inside but it is not working is there a way to activate it? Is there a remote battery charging port under the hood? The person who is looking after the car co find one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will be in touch with the person in FL tomorrow and will ask him to verify if there is a remote trunk switch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to talk with you tomorrow after I have talked with the person in FL. Is that ok?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

If there is a switch, you can either disconnect it and apply 12v with battery jump pack to the switch harness connector wiring or to the fuse.

Yes, I will be here all day tomorrow when you find out, and if there is one, I will walk you thru jumpering it.