Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

99 SLK, I removed the instrument cluster, and reinstalled it

Customer Question

99 SLK, I removed the instrument cluster, and reinstalled it and now it will not start, but for 1 second?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, there is an antenna ring around the ignition switch that may have been disconnected or damaged when you removed the cluster. The ring reads the chip in the key to authorize starting. If the start is not authorized the car will start and die immediately. I'd take it apart again and check the antenna ring.

Let me know what you find.

Marty

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
never got close to the ring, brought it out thru the top by lifting the dash pad
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

It's typically going to be either a bad antenna ring or a bad key. Do you have another key that you can try?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have a extra key and have not damaged the ring, I removed the cluster and just found out the battery should have been disconnected, what could it have hurt? I check all fuses and they are fine, turn the key and it runs for 1 second
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

It's not vital that you disconnect the battery when removing the cluster. You should at least inspect all of the fuses in the main fuse box and in the K40 relay located in the module box next to the battery. You should also scan the engine control module for fault codes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checked all fuses and they are fine, still turn the key and it tries to start for like 1-2 second then does not turn over, once in a while it will start for that 1-2 seconds and shut right down.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

I believe that you are saying that the starter will only turn the motor for 1-2 seconds. Have you tried jump starting the car? Low battery voltage can cause the starter to cut out prematurely. You can also try bypassing the starter relay to see if it will start.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried a battery charger and also used a volt meter before and after and they were just fine. No change in the starting.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Are you getting a "start error" message in the instrument cluster when you turn the key?