Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

I have a 2004 E500. I started to hear a whining sound when

Customer Question

I have a 2004 E500. I started to hear a whining sound when turning left this weekend. Last night the engine oil light came on and went off after I had been driving for about 45 minutes. About 15 miles further the add 1 qt of oil light and the engine light came on. the car started to shake. I drove it home and had it towed in this am when the dealership opened. The car will not start. They told me the engine has seized and I need to replace it. The oil had been changed, by them about 2000 miles previous. They told me the oil was down about a quart. Can something be done other than putting in a new engine?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this here.I apologize for any delay.

With the oil being down only a quart this wouldn't have caused the engine to seize up.What can cause it to seize up is a failed oil pump or engine bearing failure which in turn can cause low oil pressure causing the oil light and the engine to shake and seize up.In some cases the engine can be removed,taken apart and rebuilt to correct this but this all depends on what is damaged.In severe cases like the cylinder walls being damaged or crank shaft being damaged usually replacement is best as sometimes rebuilding an engine can cost more then the replacement all depending on what needs done.

The only other option is to try and locate a used engine as this is usually allot cheaper then a new engine.I use a place like http://www.car-part.com as they usually will have something like this here.You would enter your vehicle info and what you are looking for and it should bring up a list of who has the engine as well as the cost and they can usually ship it right to your dealer or repair facility.I wish I had better news for you on this here but unfortunately when an engine seizes up in most cases it does need replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Thanks Pete.