Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I cant get the back latch on my 77 MB hardtop to remove??

Customer Question

Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.

Hi, if the small lever is not releasing the rear center latch you will need to use a bent piece of welding rod or a heavy coat hanger to go in alongside the right side of the rear peg of the roof and sweep the latch away from the peg. You will need two helpers to lift up on the back of the roof while you try to swipe between the peg and the latch. They should not pull up so hard on the roof to make it difficult for you to swipe the latch but they need to lift up enough so that the peg lifts out of the latch as you are swiping. I've attached a picture below that will give you the basic idea of what you are trying to do. Once you get the roof removed and the hatch open you will need to adjust the cable from the small lever to the latch.

Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I'm just checking in with you on the Mercedes. Were you able to get the roof unlocked at the back? Do you need anymore help with this?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am traveling & have not had a chance to try,
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the update. Let me know it goes.

Marty