Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

My 1997 320E was. Starting and running very very good with

Customer Question

My 1997 320E was. Starting and running very very good with out using the key when I got the car it had a toggle switch and a push button to crank. I drove it like that for several months,until one day I parked it and when I came back all its would do is turn over. I might add i had to have the transponder key is the switch to get car to run
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question
I am not sure if we can help here or not, but if possible, we need to brand and model number of the push button start to see if we can see how it is supposed to be wire so we can use that in conjunction with the wiring diagrams to get a starting point on possible issues
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's just a basic two way 3pole switch,on and off when I turn it on all the dash lights come on,I then. push the button and the car would start
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now I flip the switch every thing still looks the same and it still turns over when I push button but I don't think it sparks,
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Do you know what wires the spliced into with the switch, color and location
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car is not here at my house but I can tell you the people I got the car from took the plug off the back of the switch and tied it all together through the toggle and push button.I don't recall seeing a transponder ring any where under the dash. I will go to the car and get a more accurate description and get back to you asap
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, sounds good
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a little more information on the switch wires. There are two purple wires,one large and one small hooked together on one side of push button and a large red wire 12v. on other side
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The rest in a few min
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, when you post the others, I will pull up the schematics and see what we might have here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have two large white wires,one with ared stripe,one small green with a white stripe,two small white wires,one with green stripe and one with a blue stripe all on the toggle switch
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can the transponder be bypassed
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, sorry was eating dinner.
Give me about an hour with this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No problem it is getting late i will check with you tomorrow if that's okay
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
That will be fine.