Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I am thinking about buying this 2001 Mercedes ml320 from a

Customer Question

I am thinking about buying this 2001 Mercedes ml320 from a lady. I am test driving now and the bas esp light was on but now off. The brakes seem a bit loose and my radio screen has wait on it and won't do anything else. What could be wrong?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.

Hi, the BAS/ESP light will usually wind up being a bad sensor or a bad brake light switch. You should get the car connected to a Mercedes Scan tool to read the fault codes in the BAS/ESP system. The codes will tell you exactly where the problem is. I've replaced wheel speed sensors, steering angle sensors, yaw sensors and stop light switches on this model in addition to an occasional ABS pump assembly.

On the radio screen the key must be left turned on to the first click and the radio must remain on until WAIT changes back to CODE. Once the radio displays CODE the security code can be entered to unlock the radio.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We've been put test driving the car for about 30 mins now and the radio still says wait. Also the light has went off, but it seems the brakes are making a clacking noise. If it may be a sensor how much would that cost typically?
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.

It can take as long as 24 hours for the radio to reset.

Wheel speed sensors are approximately $300

The Yaw sensor is approximately $900

A steering angle sensor is approximately $350

Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.

If the light stays off there is nothing to worry about. If the battery had died the steering angle sensor just needed to be initialized. Turning the steering wheel all the way to the left and then all the way to the right would turn of the BAS/ESP light.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how much would you say this vehicle is worth if I were to buy this right now?
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.

That's a tough question without seeing it. Most 2001's are worth around $6000 in my opinion.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
buying it for $1500 is a steal?
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.

Absolutely. You can't go wrong for that price.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think I'm ganna go for it
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.

Good luck with it!