Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

I have a 2003 Mercedes Benz s430 with 43,000 miles on it. I

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Mercedes Benz s430 with 43,000 miles on it. I pulled into a parking spot put the car in park turn the smart key off and then the car started to roll backwards also when I try to turn the car on it doesn't do anything all the lights come on on the dash but it doesn't crank or turn on but all of the dashboard lits come on and everything else works and i have power. I just bought this from the original owner plus the key is beat up any suggestions where to start looking?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. Most of the time this is caused by a broken shift linkage. If it is not holding in gear and is not starting then she linkage is not moving the transmission into the right gear. This needs to be checked before anything else. Let me know if you need more help.

Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I can help. The shift linkage is made up of one hard metal rod that is a two piece adjustable rod. And the rod is held in by two shifter bushings. Two scenarios happen. 1- the set screw that holds the linkage in place loosened up and the rod came apart from itself or 2- the bushing on either end rotted away and allowed the clip to fall off and the rod to simply come out of the lever , both are easy repairs but a little time consuming. If you can press the brake and shift the car from park to drive and hear the linkage rattling around under the car then you know that the rod simply came loose. The rod is very solid and does not break. Hope this information helps. Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉