Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

Mercedes Question or on 2002 E430 (W210) with EZS question

Customer Question
Mercedes Question for Marty or...
Mercedes Question for Marty or Michael on 2002 E430 (W210) with EZS question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercedes
9/2/2015
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 2 years ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello , my name is***** have 15+ years as a Mercedes master tech. May I assist you today ?

Hi Lou....Car was towed to me. Neither keys turn the ignition switch. Could not read or scan the car. Checked and found the EIS has power and ground. Orderred an EIS (N73) installed it. inserted the orange key, blinked in few second (too soon) inserted customer key, the instrument monitor says "Remove key" .....So it is not working. I believe the initial diagnosis is wrong and if Steering lock module (N26/5) is not the problem then I need assistance.
Other notes:
If EIS is tapped on the key will then turn but no start with old and new EIS module.
When checking the power output at the A6 pin off of N73 we have power and when ignition switch is illegally (tapping on EIS) is turned on the power disappears.
I have print out of DAS scan but do not know where to post it so you can see it? There used to be an option to post pictures.
Thanks Lou,

Ok Sam great information. There is a link somewhere for uploads. Now as far as the eis , watch the key when you insert it and turn it on. Some keys can take up to 24 hours before the ignition will even allow it to turn and then allow it to crank. So the best thing to do at this point is hook up a battery charger and insert the key and wait for the steering column to zip unlocked and then turn the key on and wait for the dash and everything to come to life. Does the old eis not then turn at all with the keys ?

Oh I missed a line. If you watch the key when inserted the little red light near the panic button will illuminate while the key is downloading information. Once the key is removed the timer starts over. This could be a long process. As long as the new eis is the correct diagnosis.

Lou half an hour ago i had an accident and totalled a perfect 92 300D 2.5T.....A huge tree fell on my car and shook the daylight out of me...I'm looking for urgent care now...to check my neck now i got my N26/5 locked up and stiff......i read your comments and u got some good points....

Never mind my comments holy cow man. Hope you are ok !?

And there is no such thing as a perfect 92 300d so I don't believe you ;)

Lou,
Thanks for your patience. The key insert was not clear. I did not follow what key is inserted first and which one is blinking. I know it can take up to 24 to program the key but tell me to be clear. Is this the customers old key? Start the key procedure...I will shut up and let you take over. We have a "Orange key" with software in it and we have "Customer" key. The customer keys have a red blinking light to check the battery strengt. let's call it "check light".

Ok , lol, here is how I have experienced eis replacement. I remove the old eis. Insert and plug in the new eis. Insert the "orange" program key (which is now blue) and the LED inside comes on for a breif second and goes out indicating authorization complete , then I insert a customers key and the check light* should come on and stay on as long as it is programming (I can't tell you 100% they all will but that is what I remember experiencing ) and sometimes at first with the key inserted the eis will not unlock the steering column or allow the key to turn. The. When the information is done being downloaded from the key into the lock and vice versa the steering column will unlock and the key will be able to turn BUT at this point it still may not start, the key must be left in the ignition until the dash comes to life and the actual value in the eis star diagnostic menu changed to "start authorization YES " then the car can be started.

Then the procedure is repeated for the next key.

Now I have seen your fault code and I do not like it. In the eis menu for the fault code what is the next test step ? So you enter into the eis , select fault codes , then at the bottom of the fault code screen you can select the fault code and then press the f3 to to follow the fault code diagnosis path. I have limited info without a scan tool but I can help you figure out why that code is set.

Thanks Lou....I'm going to work late.trying to deal with whip lash....
I've done this about 5 or 6 times few years back then TRP was forbiden and again ok yo purchase with certain licensing. ..about 4 months ago had a W204 , a C300 with a defective steering lock that i used orange key or could have been another W203 car.....in this case however the Instrument Cluster says remove key from the moment you insert customer key...
What are possibilities that Steering Lock N26/5 to be defective?
Thanks Lou

on a 210 ...... i can tell you i have never replaced a steering lock. its not as smart as the 204 style. not saying that it is not the issue but i cant tell you i have ever heard of one failing. what is the test plan in the sds for the eis fault code you have?

Lou,
Thanks for quick reply.....i am trying to overcome the sour neck and cheet...jump start my Beautiful 85 300SD to go to work and will follow the code B1156 or so see what's the suggestion. Stay relax and I'll fill u in

Ok no worries man

Lou,
I know the cases should be closed ASAP and that makes sense. However I have not been able to function due to my accident and I am more shocked of being 0.04 second away from death in a bad way. I like on a private site send you pictures of accident and the huge tree that waited about 100 years for me and come down the mili second I am going by it...... it came as close as 20 inches away from windshield. I have a compression fracture of C7 on my spine and that is all....
I prefer these postings not going public.
I thing Wednesday I am going to be at work and will follow up.
Thanks a lot

Oh man , sorry to hear. Please do not list anything you don't want public as it will display on the site. You should be able to edit your last post and remove it , I wish you well man !

Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician