Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

What would cause a major loss of power when running the AC?

Customer Question
I have 91 Mercedes 300ce...
What would cause a major loss of power when running the AC? I have 91 Mercedes 300ce. mechanic is saying it's a tired motor. I'm thinking its might be the idle control valve
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercedes
8/28/2015
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 2 years ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello. Ca you explain more about the "major loss of power "? Does the engine run bad? Or just lose all performance ?

Its runs great idles fine. If I have the AC on at a light then try to go I have no power. I have to turn the ac off then the power restores and I'm on my way. Then I can engage the AC.

Ok , so the fact that it runs good is a good sign. This sounds like 2 things. 1- the ac compressor is starting to fail so the bearing and internals are putting excess drag on the engine or 2- the freon is overcharged so the pressures are higher than normal and the engine has too much load on it. Have you had the ac properly evacuated and recharged ? How does it sound when it clicks on ?

I had it converted to R134A. Would a failing compressor also effect the heater. That doesnt work either.
I was checking my receipts and I already replaced the compressor1991 Mercedes 300CE A/C Compressor -(###) ###-####Denso - $208.35

Ok so did this happen before or after the compressor replacement ?

And no , it won't affect the heater.

After the compressor replacement.

Ok , that tells me that it's either overfilled(most likely ) or the new compressor is faulty. Usually when you charge a older car with 134a you need to fill it to 75%-85% of the original charge since the freon is lighter. Hope this information helps

Ok thanks

No problem. I'm here to help. Let me know what happens. Lou. Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉 Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.

I have taken my time to answer your question the

best i could and i will continue to help if you need

follow up information , all i ask is that you PLEASE

take a second to rate my service so i may recieve my

credit for assisting you. Thank you.

Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician