Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My ac on 2002 e 320 stopped blowing cold when i put the

freon 134a little hose that...
my ac on 2002 e 320 stopped blowing cold when i put the freon 134a little hose that comes with the can the guage was in the red so i didnt proceed that option. I then found out about the climate control diagnotic mode that reads out right on the climate control led display and after implementing that it read e on the left and ff on the right indicating no codes were set now what? Help!!! HAHA
8/27/2015
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 7 years ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** is another diagnostic test that you can run from the climate control panel that will give us the actual values. I've attached the instructions below. Enter the test and write down the actual values from 1 to 10 and post them here and I will help you with this. I may not be able to reply back until morning.

Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
OK SOUNDS GOOD I WILL GET THE DATA ENTERED FOR YOU ASAP AND THE MORNING WILL BE FINE IF YOU CANT GO OVER IT TONIGHT THANK YOU

Sounds good. I'll look for your reply in the morning.

OK HERE IS THE RESULT. I THINK I DID IT RIGHT. #1: 102 #2: 98 #3: 121 #4: 123 #5: 116 #6: 175 #7: 12 #8: 120 #9: 27 #10: 4.8

That looks good. Now I would like you to run the test again when the car is cold with the key on and the engine off.

1-111 2-100 3-89 4-89 5-93 6-91 7-07 8-91 9-27 10-0.8

Okay, all that looks normal. On the readings that you sent over last night, was the engine running when you did your test? It looks like it wasn't or the a/c was blowing warm. I'd like you to do a test with the engine running at operating temperature.

Hello Marty, sorry about delay getting back to you. Im a sound engineer and had to fill in on the end of a tour so had to leave town spurr of the moment. Im back to normal now so in regard to your question no the car was not running on the last test so these figures i just took is with the car running at temp. 1) 102 2)100 3)127 4)127 5)120 6)161 7)09 8)111 9)27 10).8 I forgot I knew somebody that does refrigeration, so when I was gone he took my car evacuated the system blew it out with nitrogen and recharged the system with the amount of oil and 134a required and there was no change. the copressor is cycling on but he is telling me according to the guages the high and low side is about the same and it should not be the same. He thinks the expansion valve or compressor is bad if this is the case how can I know for sure before I just start going and buying things needlessly? Please advise and thank you. Its still real hot here and without ac it is living hell riding in car need to fix asap! thanxs
Hello Marty, did you receive my last message i sent yesterday?

Hi, sorry for the wait I was away over the long weekend. If the high and low side pressures stay the same when the compressor is on the problem will be the compressor. The expansion valve would not act this way.

OUCH!! not the answer I wanted to hear, but Im confident this is the correct answer. You know, I just recently purchased this car and it is in excellent condition mechanically and in appearance, but it is a 2002 I get it. Im going to ask you a couple things, and if you cant answer, I understand. First, do you recommend a place to obtain parts online or a local place possibly in Las Vegas? Secondly, Where to obtain a shop manual for this year and model. I have for my firebird the manual put out by pontiac that the dealership techs refer to but i cant even find a chilton manual. Looks like they dont even publish one for this year as far as i can tell. Like to do basic work on my cars I have always obtained a manual basically to read more than to do procedures (just dont have the time) but being german this car makes me look stupid. Just would like to know where things are at when I open the hood. Thanks again for your help, ST

You're quite welcome. Copy and paste the link below for a manual I found on eBay. I don't know anything about it other than it's cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/131569339799?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82

You should be able to locate a compressor at AutoZone or Napa or Advanced Auto.

You can also check online with AutohausAz.

http://www.autohausaz.com/index.html

Let me know if you need anything else.

Please remember to click on a rating for my service.

Marty