Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

Car had no error codes and won't start. Tried a new battery.

Customer Question

Car had no error codes and won't start. Tried a new battery. No luck. Now showing display defective esp
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Driving on freeway in the rain, car dropped to limp mode. Pull off the offramp and pull over. Turned the car off. Did not want to start up again. Finally did. Stayed in limp mode.Limped to work and shut it off. Now it won't crank.got a new battery delivered. Installed the battery. Car won't crank still.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Stuck on a backroad.
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 2 years ago.

Hello. When you have that error on the dash that says "display defective " that means that there is a communication issue in the car and the only way to tell what is going on is with a scan tool. There will be nothing that we can do to get this going. I know this is not that answer you want to hear and I apologize but the car needs towed to a dealer or a repair facility that has good German car experience and a Mercedes type scan tool. Again my apologies. Hope this information helps clear Up what you are seeing. The car will not start as long as the communication system is down. It's the computer networks internal to the car and there is no fuse or quick check to perform. Lou

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was able tonshift the car in neutral. Now I cant, how will I tow it

Ok the S class is the only model that has no emergency release. but try this , turn the key on and press the brake and tell me if you can feel the slight clicking on the shifter everytime you press the brake ?

There is a trick to getting it out with some force but can be tricky if you can't feel the click.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No clicking

Ok that's what I thought. The brake switch is part of the communication system :(

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how does it tow?

Ok if you pull back gently on the shifter just before you feel the stop, then bang on the top of the shifter as you pull back it will jounce the shifter lock and allow the shifter to be pulled back.

Tow trucks should always use a flatbed with a Mercedes. They can drag the car up the ramp by greasing the tires

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. And no way to get back to limp mode?

It won't hurt anything. Worst case if we can't get the shifter loose

Well limp mode is decided by the car there is no setting

It was sheer luck you had a chance to get it going before

Also turn the key on and off and on and off and keep pressing the brake to see if you'll get lucky to get the shifter out

Take the key out and lock the car and then unlock and try again to see if the car will quickly reset before it notices the system has a fault

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok that worked. Also I have no error message, but still no turning iver
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Pics of cluster

Ok then leave it in neutral!

Ok so it does not crank ? The starter does not turn ?

I can tell there is still a issue because the gear indicator where the clock is at does not show what gear it is in

So at this point it will need to be towed. If by the miracle it starts to work again I still say drive right to a shop as there is something going on and it can fail again at any time. Sorry I didn't have a quick fix but the communication system is not something we can diagnosis over the Internet. Hope this information helps Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉 Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.

I have taken my time to answer your question the best i could and i will continue to help if you need follow up information , all i ask is that you PLEASE take a second to rate my service so i may recieve my credit for assisting you. Thank you.