Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

Marty, My 01 e320 (43,000 miles) was running fine, parked

Customer Question

Hey Marty, My 01 e320 (43,000 miles) was running fine, parked it. Next time I went to start it, nothing. No click nothing. Battery has power all windows radio etc work fine...Starter,solenoid?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi, it sounds like the starter or the starter relay may have failed. First try starting the car in neutral then in park and see if it starts. Also make sure that the car does not roll in park just in case the transmission linkage fell off and the transmission is still in drive. Next step would be to bypass the starter relay to see if the starter works. The starter relay is located in the passenger side module box under the hood. Open the box and you will see the starter relay mounted on the K40 relay where all the fuses are located. Remove the starter relay and use a jumper lead to briefly jump from terminal 30 to 87 in the relay connector to see if the starter operates. If the starter works you may have a bad starter relay or K40 relay or the transmission may not be recognizing that the car is in park. If the starter does not operate you should make sure that there is power to the terminal in the relay connector where you placed your jumper and if there is power there you will need to replace the starter.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Marty
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Greetings MartyThank you for the prompt and informative response. I will be sure to reach out to you with the results. How can I contact you? Silly how we get attached to these darn cars : )) shes my baby, I love that darn car
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi, you're quite welcome. You can reply back here at any time if you have further questions on this problem. I've also sent you my contact info if you wish to have a phone call.
Marty