Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

I want to bring ML350 2015 from Canada to USA. I have TPLS

Customer Question

Hi, I want to bring ML350 2015 from Canada to USA. I have TPLS to TPMS modification issue. Is it worth even trying?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 2 years ago.

Hello sorry for the delay. So can you bring me up to speed on why you have to change the systems? For country laws ? Or what is the whole story ? I'll do my best to help. Lou

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
modification is mandated to comply with NHTSA req. Canadian model of ML350 is not compliant.

Ok so I'm assuming you have the version that runs off of wheel speed ? As far as the car goes you can change coding in the vehicle BUT I'm not sure the wiring is there to accommodate a tpms module . That would be the issue. Adding sensors to the wheels is easy it's wiring in a tpms module that is the issue. I'll check a wiring diagram and see what it entails. This may not be worth your while. Darn regulations. They make you have them but they don't make you repair them when they fail lol. Makes no sense.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Lou, My Mercedez ML is 2015 and equipped with Drive Assist. I am no expert but not sure I can be compliant by installing a non-integrated TPMS which simple is outside of the larger system. Not sure, I am getting a clear answer to my question. My question is should I assume, it can be modified and if yes, how complicated and costly it is? Should I venture on this path? I assume you have studied TPLS vs TPMS.

Yes the tpls relies on wheel speed verses the tpms which uses actual sensors in the wheels. I believe cost would outweigh the benefit. The module itself is a few hundred dollars. And then it needs to be retrofitted and wiring ran and then all the affected control models coded ,also antennas ran to each wheel well area , so this could run upwards of 3k $ usd, so I would say it is not worth the effort or expense.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is the job effective or will destroy my existing features? Mercedes refused retrofitting and suggested after market solution. Not sure, if even after spending 3000 Government will accept. Also, what if I have to return to Canada after say 2 years, I will Ned to bring this back with TPLS.

The job will not destroy any existing systems. And there is. I thing to remove for the TPLS it is simply coding in the car so you will not have to Remove anything you simply change the electronic codings. Now you may be able to get away with aftermarket sensors and display. Here is a link.

Not sure if they will accept but I don't think it would matter how it was installed as long as it was installed.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, overall my conversation with you was good but I do not think, I learnt anything new to be able to go one way or the other. As an example, I have no problem with spending 3k to modify the vehicle but I am not sure if that will be acceptable. It is very important for me to know how much are you charging me.

If I am correct you set the fee at 42$? That is all you are being charged for IF you rate me positive. I am not sure how much more clear I can explain. I don't know if the standards would allow the aftermarket so my apologies. All I can say is the cost to install the factory stuff would be astronomical.

If you have no problem spending the 3k then the USA would absolutely accept the modifications as it is factory standard.

And to go back to Canada all you have to do is change a setting in the control module back to TPLS.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am fine with $42 but maximum I can rate you 3/5 as I am still not comfortable making a decision. I will let you decide how much to charge. Actually my dealership in Canada had advised me of the same amazon after market link as you did.

Ok. Well I cannot help you make a decision lol. All I can do is provide you with the options

Here are the facts

Adding factory TPMS is gonna be costly but acceptable for transfer to the U.S. And when and if you return to Canada it only takes 1 hour to change back to TPLS.

The aftermarket is Considerably Cheaper. BUT I don't know if it is acceptable but don't see why it wouldn't. You would have to make a phone call to make sure. If they operate the same way then it should not matter.

I cannot sway you either way. I am just informing you technically your options based on my experience with how the vehicle works. If there is something I missed please let me know I would be happy to follow up no problem. I am trying to help. But again I cannot tell you what you should do.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When you say factory, does it mean MB? With after market, I are you saying, I order from Amazon and get it installed? Say if you were in Denver will you be able to install and then give me some proof of installation that I can use to register my vehicle?

Factory means anything original from Mercedes

Aftermarket means anything NOT made by Mercedes. My apologies.

And the documentation of work performed is all you would need.

Like a bill from the dealer or shop.