Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

89 560 sl has been seating over ten year. Drain gas out

Customer Question
completely, put new gas and...
89 560 sl has been seating over ten year. Drain gas out completely, put new gas and filter, check fuel pumps (working), change cold air pump (used one) it was noisey. Car was running for two to four second before all of that. After all work it runs little longer 15 to 20 second and shuts off it will start again but does same.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercedes
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
8/8/2015
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 2 years ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Hello my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to help you , i strive for EXCELLENT service and nothing less.draining the gas in a car like this is not gonna be good enough. So you are going to have to remove the tank and change the screen inside the tank and have the tank hot dipped to remove all the old that and scale that will be in the tank. I have done about 5 cars like this and they all need the same thing. Anytime the cars sit longer than 3 years. Hope this information helps , Lou.
Can show in picture where it is located? I will try it tomorrow.
Maybe you misread my post. The whole tank has to come out. The tank is in the trunk. It is between the back seat and the trunk. Remove the carpeting and you will find the tank. Also the fuel line has to be removed from. The bottom of the tank.
I just changed the tank screen. It was no good it look bad but car still does the same starts and runs 10 second and dies.I changed one of pump it was little noisy, but still nothing.
There are 2 pumps on your model correct ?
there are two pumps, I pulled old pump a part it did not look bad.
Ok if you removed the screen and seen how much crud came out , there will still be crud in the tank. Lots of it.
I think i found the problem. I open the fuel accumulator. It was clean and look good. But rubber hose coming out o it was melted inside it was clogged. I am going to get new accumulator tomorrow to see what happens.
Ok. Good luck. When we did these types of repairs we replaced both pumps , removed and cleaned the tank , replace the tank filter , the fuel filter , clean all the fuel injectors , replaced all rubber lines , cleaned fuel distributor and also Checked for vacuum leaks. Hope you get this going. They are great cars. As long as they run right. :)
I'm not sure how much help I was on your end so I'll leave it up to you to rate me but if it's not positive then please do not rate at all as negative really affects me. Let me know if there is anything I can help with. Lou
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician