Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

After taking my 500SL (2005) to the dealer many times and it

Customer Question

Hi - After taking my 500SL (2005) to the dealer many times and it not be diagnosed, they are telling me that the PSE pump is bad. Can has 58,000 miles . The battery light and the drive to workshop light kept coming on. They replaced both batteries in the car but the next week it started again. First they said it was the SDC pump then said that was a mistake - it's the PSE pump. One is covered by warranty (the SDC) and the PSE is not. Is there an alternative to this?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, the PSE pump will not cause a no start unless it is draining the battery when the car is off. If that is why they want to replace the PSE I would let them do it. As long as they are sure that the PSE is the source of the drain it will solve the problem. There is no way around replacing the PSE and there are no aftermarket replacements.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Marty
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It never drained the battery completely - but they replaced them because both batteries were low and the fab and stuff wasn't working well. Now I have new batteries. It's a 2000 job and I already paid for the batteries and a trunk lock which apparently is this. It's taken me 4 attempts because they said it was "fine"It doesn;t appear to be draining the battery when its off.IS the only alternative to repaid or trade it in. It seems a lot for for this car which has been babied and with less than 60K miles - what is your opinion?
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately repairing the PSE or replacing the car are your only options. The SL Mercedes can be very expensive to maintain out of warranty. Even the low mileage cars experience problems.
Let me know if you need anything else.
Marty