Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

Here's my dilemma...my key went swimming with me and now it

Customer Question

Hey Mary,
So here's my dilemma...my key went swimming with me and now it won't release the steering or start the car. I ordered a new key from the dealer but I have to get the car there for activation. I was able to get the car to start one time since this happened. Any suggestions for getting the car to start one more time so I can drive it to the dealership?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi, there is no way to start the car if the key won't work but you also do not need to take the car to the dealer for activation. Just pick up the key from the Mercedes dealer, insert it into the ignition, wait a few seconds and start the car. There is no programming required for the drive authorization portion of the key.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Marty