Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

TRIED TO GET YOU LAST NIGHT 1984 380SL 81K=STARTED SMOKING

Customer Question

TRIED TO GET YOU LAST NIGHT 1984 380SL 81K=STARTED SMOKING -LOSE OF POWER-GOES DEAD IN FURST 5 MINS OF DRIVING HOT OR COLD-- REPAIRS IN LAST 3-3 YEARS
IGNITION CONTROL DISTRIBUTOR CAP ROTOR PLUGS TIMING CHAIN VALVE COVER GASKETS -O2 SENSOR FUEL PUMP AC COMPRESSER
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi, can you give me some background on the problem? Is the car used regularly or has it been sitting for a long time?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
DAILY DRIVER
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
DAILY DRIVER --JUST STARTED IDLING AT 5-6 X100 BLACK SMOKE ON HARD EXCELLERATION-SLUGGISH-
JUST GOES DEAD IN FIRST 5 MINS OR OPERATION HOT OR COLD---DID YOU GET MY LIST OF REPAIRS SINCE 2012?
I WAS GOING TO TRY TO HAVE PLUGS REPLACED AND MABY NEW WIRES--DONT KNOW WHY ITS RUNNING SO RICH
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
The rich running is most likely due to a bad warm up regulator or possibly a bad fuel distributor. You are going to have to get a CIS fuel pressure gauge connected to the system to check your control pressure through the warm up regulator. If the pressure is staying low and not rising when it warms up it will run very rich. I'd go ahead and put a set of plugs in it but it sounds like you have fuel system problems. What happens when it dies? Are you able to restart it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
COULD RESTART IT UNTIL YESTERDAY--IT DIED WITHIN 3MINUTES---WOULD NOT RESTART
THIS MORNING FIRED RIGHT UP DIED WITH IN 3 MINUTES WILL NOT RESTART,JUST SPINS
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
What have you done since my last correspondence with you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ordered a warm up regulator for 200.00 bucks I live in key west no mb dealer except Miami 200 miles away
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Ok, did you install it yet or is it still on order?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
still on order from california
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
I wouldn't mess with it until you get the part. I also think that it's very important that you get a CIS pressure gauge connected to the system. The CIS system is all about proper pressures. You need to know what your pressures are in order to determine the problem. Anytime they run too rich the problem is typically going to be the warm up regulator or the fuel distributor.