Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I have a 2001 CLK 320 and the top won't go up when I t the

Customer Question

I have a 2001 CLK 320 and the top won't go up
when I hit the rook button it doesn't light up at all
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** you give me some background on the problem? Was any work done to the roof system?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no but i replaced the brake lamp switch that is under the front dash. It was supposed to stop the BAS ESP light from coming up but it hasn't. Also the turn signals aren't working
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Prior to changing the switch the top would go up and down. But there were times that the BAS ESP light would come on that the top would not go down, it would go up if it was already down it just wouldn't go down.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also one more thing, when I press the button to raise the roof it does not light up at all
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Ok, let's start by checking some fuses. Check fuse 15 and 22 in the fuse box under the hood and check fuse 11 and 13 in the trunk fuse box. See if any of those are bad.
Let me know what you find.
Marty
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok all fuses look good
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
pressing the roof button does nothing, button does not light up or flash, windows do not go down
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Do the windows work when using the window switches?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can use the window switches to raise and lower the windows
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
It sounds like the roof control module is dead. Does the one touch express up feature work on the windows? Was the battery disconnected when you did the work on the car?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will have to double check if the one touch window up function works.. I believe it does but I can verify is about an hour. The battery was not disconnected but the car was off. All I did was change the brake lamp switch which is under the dash by the brake pedal
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Ok, do the brake lights work now? Did the turn signals work prior to replacing the brake light switch?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The brake lights always worked. The turn signals worked intermittent prior to changing the brake switch. Now they haven't worked since
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the BAS ESP light still comes on as soon as I start the car
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Ok, try starting the car and turning the steering wheel all the way to the left and then all the way to the right a few times and see if it turns off the BAS/ESP light. I would also inspect the connectors under the dash in the area that you were working and see if anything was disturbed. Do you have a test light or a voltmeter available?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried turning the steering wheel. I'll have a test light and voltmeter when I get home tonight. Around 630 EST
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I checked the windows. One touch window up and down both work
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Ok, let's check some more fuses but this time you will need a test light. You will need to remove the cover on the module box under the hood on the passenger side and check all of the fuses in the K40 relay. Make sure all of the small fuses are good and that they all have power with the key on.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok, is there somewhere i can see a picture of that?
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/xc4r1l271jegojn/untitled.PNG
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks marty
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome. Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All of the small fuses in there check out good with a test light
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I looked to see if I had knocked out any connections when I replaced the brake lamp switch. I didn't notice anything. I also put the original switch back. No change
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I disconnected the battery then reconnected no change
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I also noticed on the drive home that the cruise control isn't working either
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok last update for the night. If I hold the key in the crank position the roof light comes on and I am able to raise and lower the top. As soon as I let the key out of the crank position the roof stops. Strange. Let me know if you can think of anything else I can check
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Could a short in the harness for the break lamp switch be the cause? Although the break lamps do work when I hit the break pedal.
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi, it looks like all of the problems are related to the ESP/ABS fault. If there are faults stored in the system it will disable the cruise and the roof. If all of the fuses I listed have power the next step is to get the ABS system scanned for fault codes. The turn signals appear to be unrelated to the problem. Double check the 4 fuses I listed previously. If they all check good with the test light and if all of the fuses in the module box test good you are going to need to get the fault codes checked in the ABS system.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is that something I can do myself?
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
You can't scan it without a Mercedes factory level scan tool but once you get the fault codes you may be able to do the repair yourself. We need to see what the codes are in order to continue with the diagnosis. If you are sure you have power to all of those fuses you will need to get the fault codes to go any further. Ideally you should also get the fault codes that are stored in the roof control module.