Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

I need help installing the illuminated star on a 2008 GL320

Customer Question
Hi, I need help installing...
Hi, I need help installing the illuminated star on a 2008 GL320 CDI. I've been reading a lot of posts of people that have done it, but with poor details. I have read of a guy that used a 12v to 5v converter. For what? I don't know. I thought the led on
the star was 12v. Other have splice wired to the parking lights, others like the x166 new model, with the oem control module to the x30/4 CAN. I really wanted to wire the star to work all the time with the DRL's. I don't know if is possible or if it will look
cheesy The parts that I have are A1668170316(STAR) and A1668200800(harness)
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercedes
8/2/2015
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 2 years ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello I can definitely help. But but two things , 1- how good are you with electrical and can you wire up a relay and 2- the fee you set is very low for the amount of time we will need to spend to get this working. So the fee will need to be increased.

I'm good with electrical. Not an expert on relays, but I can wire anything. How much you want?
Ok , glad you have some skill that will make it easier on both of us. So can you tell me what you purchased exactly and a part number so I can get a idea of what we are working with ? And also how and when do you want the star to come on ?
The parts that I have are A1668170316(STAR) and A1668200800(harness). I want if is possible to work with the Daylight running lights...
Oh my apologies you already said that before. Ok. I tell you what. Well keep the fee as is and if your satisfied with me then ill leave it up to you for the rest. I'll reply in the morning with what you should do. Daytime running lights may be hard so we may have to go to the front marker lights but we'll see how it plays out. In the meantime you may want to pick up a relay (4 pin) that can handle at least 10 amps. I can't imagine that star needing more. A HELLA brand was what the last guy i helped used.
I'll buy the relay in the morning. Talk to you later.
Thanks,
Edward
Ok no problem Edward.
Also just so you know the part number you purchase is not for your model its for the 166 body. You have the 164 body. I am not sure the stars are the same , have you at lease test fit the star before we go any further ?
it will fit. Many people have done it. There's a lot of threads about it at the Mecedes forums, but with poor details...
Ok just wanted to make sure you were aware.
sorry for the delay this is not normal of me this week I have been having some computer issues.
Ok did you get your relay yet ?
I thought you forgot about it, so I wire it direct to the parking lights. Yes I bought the relay, but did not use it...
Oh no just computer issues , so sorry. So do you need me any more ?
No. Thanks anyway.
Ok. I really apologize. If you decide in the future you need anything please let me know. I will do my best. This is not usual of me. Take care. You can submit for a refund by following the customer service links.
MB Paul
MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician