FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE DIESEL/AUTOMOTIVE
1627031

E320: Have code P0410. MBZ said ports in Ex manifold blocked.

Customer Question

Have code P0410. MBZ said ports in Ex manifold blocked. CEL on. Will not oass smog. $2500 to clean head. Looking for alternative
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Bobby. Thanks for the question. This is a common issue on this engine. Many times it does need this much work to repair it. Now with this code though I have seen more air pumps go bad that will cause this. If they diagnosed it then I am going to assume that they are correct about the issue. The only other option would be to try and open up the ports with the heads still installed and inject some carbon cleaner into them. You will only be able to get so much in there. I would then use a high pressure vacuum to try and vacuum it out. There is a slim chance that this will get all of it. Let me know if you need more help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Which Carbon cleaner do you suggest ?All other parts of yhe Secondary air injection work correctly.Also is there any way to prevent the carbon build up ? Fuel additives etc, grades of Fuel ?Thanks
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
If you are using top tier fuel then that is about all you can do. For cleaning this I usually use General Motors top end cleaner. It seems to do better than other brands I have used.