Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

Thank you. My MB 350 GLK won't turn over. I've called roadsi

Customer Question

Thank you. My MB 350 GLK won't turn over. I've called roadside assistance, but this has never happened.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** likely your battery has failed on the GLK. Roadside assistance should be able to jump start the car and test the battery for you. The will normally have a battery with them that they can install if they find your battery to be defective.
Let me know if you need further assistance.
Marty
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Roadside assistance was unable to jump it and said the battery appeared to have a chargem
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
If that is the case you may have a problem with the starer or the starter authorization circuit. A faulty key could cause this problem. Do you have a spare key that you can try?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't have a spare key.
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Ok, if you had a spare key it would rule out a faulty key. I'm afraid you will need to get the car towed to the workshop to test the starter and have a diagnosis performed on the start authorization system. It is pretty common for the electronic steering lock mechanism to fail and cause a no crank condition on this model. The electronic ignition switch can also cause the problem. The diagnostic test will pinpoint the problem.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Marty
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Any idea how costly the repair could be if it's not the key? Can it be safely towed if the car won't go into neutral?
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
A new key is approximately $300. A steering lock replacement will run approximately $950. An ignition switch is about the same. If you cannot put the car in neutral Mercedes Roadside Assistance can bring the tester to the car and put the car in neutral. The car can also be put on dollies for towing.
Let me know if you need anything else.
Marty