Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

300SE: Better to buy a 1991 s300SE or 420SEL given the same

Customer Question

Better to buy a 1991 s300SE or 420SEL given the same miles of 150,000. Isn't the V6 a better engine as far as maintenance costs over time? I know I would rather have the V8 power but I am worried that the V8 will cost me a fortune to keep up.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi, the 91 300SE uses the M103 straight 6 cylinder motor. The 6 cylinder motor is more reliable and less expensive to maintain than the V8. The V8 motor was prone to timing chain problems and valve stem seal problems. Both are very expensive problems to deal with on the V8. I would go with the 300SE over the 420SEL.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Marty