Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years, Master tech. 10+ years, SAE member
30385560

Sl500: My 2003 mb sl500 trunk won't close with the top down

Customer Question

My 2003 mb sl500 trunk won't close with the top down (open). This has happened 4 times. Each time shop says they see low voltage fault and just reset it. It always happens when I open trunk when top is down and use the red button to folded top to get stuff out of trunk. Can I reset myself?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.To reset this, you would need a scan tool. It enters the system memory and erase the fault codes (power supply too low, in your case).A "hard reset" can be done by disconnecting the battery negative cable for an hour or so. But this method has other implications such as needing the radio code, and needing to reset the one touch function for the windows.But in your case, and having the low voltage issue, i would check the connectors at the switches and the control module.Kindly get back to me with your findings, or if further assistance is needed. Regards,Billy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I get a scan tool at some place like Autozone? You didn't say how to use it once I get it. Also, which battery are you referring to? The consumer battery in the trunk or the main battery? Could a bad pump be causing the drag to a battery?
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
A bad pump could cause battery drain. But this will cause other problems (such as starting).If the vehicle's battery is good, and the starter is kicking strong when starting, then the issue is within the vario roof module.The cheapest quality tool you can get for the mercedes, would be the iCarsoft i980. Found here: http://www.icarsoft.eu/Webwinkel-Product-62201995/iCarsoft-i980.htmlThis is a "plug and play" device (this info would be the same on almost all mercedes tools):- You insert in the tool in the OBDII port, above the e-brake pedal- turn ignition on- you identify the vehicle on the tool (model, year, engine)- you scroll through the modules till you get to the vario roof module- you enter this module- you scroll to the "read codes"- you read the codes (which should say, power supply too low)- you scroll to the "erase codes" and you erase them.- you disconnect the tool, start the engine and the system (roof) should work PS: such a scan tool can be used for other purposes such a retrieving and deleting codes from almost all systems on your vehicle (engine, transmission, abs, esp, etc..) Kindly get back to me if further assistance is needed.Regards,Billy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Again, are you referring to the Consumer battery in the trunk or the main battery under the hood? My understanding is that the consumer battery is what powers the top, so would this really have any connection to start up?
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
Hello,The consumer battery would not directly affect the starting, but it would cause low voltage supply codes in many modules, not only the vario roof module.I would check the connections, at the batteries, and at the vario roof module.You can check the voltage of the consumer battery when you get the problem. If you have low voltage (around or lower than 12V), then replacing this would be a good idea. A good battery should have around 12.5 Volts (with engine off obviously) after standing overnight. Kindly get back to me with your findings, or if further info is needed. Regards,Billy