MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes
15777119

ML320: I HAVE ML320 THAT THE HATCH DOES NOT GO UP AND DOWN

Customer Question

I HAVE ML320 THAT THE HATCH DOES NOT GO UP AND DOWN AUTOMATICALLY. IT UNLATCHES AND THE MOTOR MAKES NOISE BUT DOES NOT RAISE OR LOWER AUTOMATICALLY. IT MANUALLY WORKS TO GO UP AND DOWN AND ALSO LOCKS AUTOMATICALLY. WHERE DO I START. THANKS, JIM.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
Hello Jim and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
Can you open tilting roof manually with roof switch until the mechanical stop is reached and continue to press roof switch (press and hold) for 5 seconds after it stops.
And then manually raise it up, and hold the button, until it stops, keep pressed for 5 seconds, and lower the same way.
Kindly get back to me with your findings, so we proceed accordingly.
regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
After following procedure, the latch releases while holding button but hatch does not move. The motor runs but nothing else happens. Before motor quits it will relatch door before i move it. It works same in both directions. What next?
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
So to confirm (and please correct me if i'm wrong), the roof slides to close and open, and it tries to raise, but it never rises, although you can hear the motor.
In which case, the linkage between the motor and the tilting/sliding roof is disconnected. That would be the linkage responsible for the tiling (raising and lowering). That would require the removal of the sunroof, for checking and correcting.
If you are used to working on vehicles, and would like to tackle this, i can supply some diagrams to identify the components and clarify this.
Kindly get back to me, so we proceed accordingly.
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, but the problem is with the rear liftgate not the sunroof. Besides I found a broken wire by motor under spare tire. Thanks anyway. I hope I get credit for not getting the right results. Thanks anyway and I probably will use this sight again. Jim
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
Hello Jim
Eventually, I'm glad that the problem is sorted.
I will have the question closed (the money you paid will stay and you can use it for other questions). However, Would you like me to refer this to customer service?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not know how soon before I will need your services as in our part of the country {Bowman, ND} we do not see many of these vehicles to have to work on. I am a private individual who tackles any job no one else will. Thanks again, Jim.
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
You're most welcome Jim!
Best of luck.
Cheers.