Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

500 SL: I own a 1993 Mercedes 500SL with an aftermarket FAB…

Customer Question
I own a 1993 Mercedes...
I own a 1993 Mercedes 500SL with an aftermarket FAB fiberglass front bumper. I'm getting guff from Texas DPS about not having a front license plate. The bumper is constructed in a way that blocks access to its front part from the rear. Any ideas on this, especially without drilling the bumper (it really is cool looking as is)
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Mercedes
7/2/2015
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 3 years ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Hello my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to help you , i strive for EXCELLENT service and nothing less.does the bumper have the recess or access for the tow hook ?
I don't recall such but will have to get back to you in a few minutes as the car is out for a bit
I don't think there is any setup to tow from the front. The few times I have had it on a car carrier it was loaded rear first
There are two heavy steel tow points in the opening of the bumper, each about a foot and a half from the center of the bumper
Ok there should be a hole with threads is there not ?
Here's what I'm getting at. Google "hidden license plate " and "toe or tow hook license plate frame" there are two options for you that we use on euro cars especially Porsche. I'm trying to remebr if your year had a threaded hole in the front for this type. Take a look and see if one of these will work for you. If not let me know. Lou
The tow loops are solid and have no threaded holes
ok gotcha, have you seen the motorized license plate bracket? if not they sell brackets that bolt under the bumper and can wrap up around to the front that way you dont screw into the bumper.