Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1982 380sl. ignition will not turn with key. how to extract…

Customer Question
1982 380sl. ignition will not...
1982 380sl. ignition will not turn with key. how to extract tumbler? I've read the tumbler may require drilling. if so, pls describe how. Larry
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercedes
7/1/2015
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 2 years ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Hi Larry, welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** don't drill the lock you have to use a large Dremel to grind the lock cylinder away. This makes a huge mess so you need to lay a large sheet under the steering column to catch all of the metal. Personally I do not remove the cylinder this way. When the key will not turn the problem is usually not the lock cylinder the problem is the steering lock mechanism itself. I prefer to replace the steering lock along with the lock cylinder if necessary. The lock cylinders are becoming more and more difficult to find so if you can save the cylinder you are better off. You will need to work under the dash and through the instrument cluster opening to cut the steering lock shaft where it enters the steering column. I use a mini sawzall for this purpose. Once you cut the lock you can more than likely turn the key and remove the lock cylinder from the lock using the conventional method and reuse it. I've attached the instructions below. Also, I have had good success vibrating the lock cylinder with an air hammer from under the dash while trying to turn the key at the same time. The vibration jiggles the pieces around enough to allow the key to turn and you can avoid cutting the steering lock.
Copy and paste the links below:
https://www.mediafire.com/?vs55bkfvfge535m
http://www.mediafire.com/view/8xzms2i8rcv29sh/Lock_cylinder.pdf
Let me know if you have any questions. Please remember that you must click on a rating for my service in order for me to receive credit for helping you today.
Marty