Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

S500: W220 2001 S500 will start and drive, but nothing works,

Customer Question
W220 2001 S500 will start...
W220 2001 S500 will start and drive, but nothing works, turn sig., ac,.door loc., airmatic, and will not shut down when the key is removed. You have to remove the relay to shut it off. Then the brake lights stay on and the fan runs until you remove the battery cable.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercedes
7/1/2015
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 2 years ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Hello my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to help you , i strive for EXCELLENT service and nothing less.did this happen after a recent rain ? Or car wash ?
no
ok, what rekay are you removing? it sounds like the communications system or one of the front sam's have failed.
The starter relay
what happened first? what sympton? was the car jump started? can you explain when and how this all happened, i need to get a feel for what is going on, this is not a common issue so it will take some thinking and diagnosis.
Just started it to drive to work and a big red battery image comes on in the display on the dash and tells take to work shop. Drove it to my body shop and it would not shut down until I removed the relay
ok, great, so start the car and see what voltage the battery is charging at.
13v
I installed a new battery
ok, did you just check it or are you going off of what you checked before? i need us to both be on the same page, and understand that when i ask of something it is definitely going to help with diagnosis, so heres what i need you to do, start the car and see if the warnings are consistent and the car contnues to run with the key turned off, then check the charging of the battery while its running, it has to be more than 13.0 but LESS than 14.8
I forgot to mention when you turn the key off to shut it down the key will not turn on until you disconnect the battery. It more than 13.0 but less than 14.
ok , so this happens every-time the car runs?
Yes, but now the air has leaked from the air ride,so you cannot drive it.
the link is the passenger side SAM, let me know where you are pulling the relay from, the starter relay is relay L and in the diagram if the relay was the issue the starter would continue to crank,
If X is toward the firewall the L is the one
x is toward the front of the car
and this is the fuse box on the passenger side of the cars engine bay
Yes that is the one that shuts it off
ok, but to reiterate, the X is pointing towards the front of the car, not the firewall. we need to confirm on this
if L is indeed the relay, then remove the relay and see if the car ignition turns on and off with no issues, it will not crank but at least we can see what happens.
Yes, that is the one, the layout of the box looked different, sorry
arrows always point towards front of car
The key will not turn until you remove the battery ground and replace
even with the relay removed?
yes
remove the positive and negative cables and touch them together, it will drain all the control module capacitors, it may help, but just want to be sure, its called a global reset.
I have tried that
Everything leads to eis, but I still do not know why it will start and nothing else works
yes i was going through the diagrams and you are on the right track , eis is the common denominator.
eis is responsible for turning on the circuits to the control modules. so if have the car works then that is a very probable scenario
but normally the key will not turn in the ignition
could it be the ecu ?
or the ecm
i agree most eis fails to where it wont turn, but the fact that the key will not be released tells me eis all the way. i dont see the engine module causing this and when you say ECM it is vague lol, as this car has 25 control modules all with specific names.
i think we are on the same page, i vote EIS. hope this helps. the diagrams all point to eis. if you want to double check, start the car and in the passenger side fuse box, use a test light and tell me what fuses do NOT have power , that may help diagnose further, but the only thing that can affect the key not coming out or starting the car a second time, is the eis. hope this helps.Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉Keep in mind that rating me does not end the chat, it simply credits me for assisting, i will still be here to help if follow up information is needed , Lou.
You can switch the key off and even remove it from the switch and it still runs
ok then try this, pull fuse 78 in the passenger side DASH fuse box, its on the outside where the door meets the dash , start the car , shut the key off and remove it and then pull the fuse.
you can remove it and put it in your pocket and it still runs
Is that the 7.5 fuse ?
yes
sorry my refresh on the computer is slow today for some reason
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician