Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

I have a 2002 C240 that cranks but at a slow rate....

Customer Question
Changed the battery and starter...
I have a 2002 C240 that cranks but at a slow rate.... Changed the battery and starter but still the same results. But if I jump the starter solenoid it cranks normal... Any suggestions???
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercedes
6/29/2015
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 2 years ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
I would ohm the negative cable to ground and also positive cable from battery to starter. Sounds like one the the cables may have a poor connection. Try cleaning the battery posts and ground cable. See if that helps. Sounds like you may need to replace one of the cables. Hope this information helps. Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! ūüėČ
Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.
Did that cables were fine... The car crank now at a little bit faster rate and does eventually start... But it is still slow enough that it takes 3 or 4 times cranking it before it will start...
Ok I will opt out.
What kind of battery did you put in the car ?
The battery was purchased at auto zone....
Oh jeez, no. No autozone please. Get a Benz or interstate. And when you jumped the starter did you do it at the starter ? With a screwdriver ? Or did you use jumper cables to the battery ?
I'm an interstate man too but the customer bought the battery then brought it to me... I jumped it at the starter and it was cranking normal but when I crank it with the ignition key it's slo to crank.. I also rolled the crank shaft to see if there is resistance and there was none.
Ok did you jump the starter while the key was on ?
Yes but wouldn't run
Ok now I'm confused , in your original statement you said the starter cranked normal when jumped ?
That is correct that's my delimma with the ingnition on and you crank it-its is slow and takes a long time to even try to run and if the ignition is on and you jump the starter it cranks normal but won't run....
Ok I have never experienced this so that is why I have opted out. Hopefully another expert will come along.
Ok
sorry no one has helped yet, have you made any progress?
No I have tried every thing I could think of with no success....
ok, you want to run down a list of everything you tried and what you had found or what helped and did not help.
OK so here's what we've done replace the starter, replaced the battery, checked voltage to battery, check voltage from battery to starter, able to jump starter normal crank won't start, trying the keys start cranks very slow takes very long time to engage or start the motor, checked all fuses and relays
Still the same slow cranking takes very long time to start.
oh ok, so lets get on the same page, when you say slow crank do you mean that you turn the key on and it takes a few seconds before the starter actually activates? or the starter activates but the crankink is slower than normal,?
i hope we were not on the wrong page the whole time
The crank is slower than normal.... It's almost like the battery is almost drained kind cranking...
ok,what voltage does the battery get to while cranking, pull the fuel pump relay and crank it to see what the voltage gets down to.
The voltage went from 12.4 to 11.6
Ok that is not bad. That is actually good. Have you tried taking the belt off and seeing if it changes? I understand that it cranks ok with jumping the starter. Just trying to think outside the box and see what could be causing this
Yes I'm sorry I should have said I did that with the same results also pulled the plugs to check the cylinders for fluid all were good
Have you taken the solenoid wire off the starter and checked it ? For corrosion or anything ?
I did check it and cleaned it anyway...all was good
Haha. Ok quit taking all of my suggestions away ! Lol. Wow. You really have a 1 off 'er. I had a GL I worked on once for a week or so with a slow crank but always started and I never got a chance to figure it out. So I have experienced a issue like yours I just don't have the answer YET. I am trying though to come up with something. Is this a customers car or your personal car ?
It's a customers car and thanks for hanging on this...
No problem. It's a fault of mine lol. I never give up. I only opted out before because I didn't want to waste your time if some other expert had the answer or same experience.
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician