Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

E320: 2005 E320 seems to be stuck in limp mode.

Customer Question

2005 E320 seems to be stuck in limp mode.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** you post the last 8 digits of your vin number for me? When you say limp mode do you mean that the transmission is stuck in 2nd gear?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Marty, the vin number is ***** Additionally, the car was doing this from time to time before, I would stop and restart the vehicle and it would function normally. I don't know if it is in first or second gear although I'm not feeling any shifting upon acceleration. Also, the C/S button used to change the mode on the screen and now pushing the button does nothing. Hope this helps.Thanks Dave
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dave, 90% of the time this problem will be caused by a faulty speed sensor in the transmission. You will need to get the car connected to a Mercedes tester to read out the fault codes in the transmission control module. More than likely there will be codes related to the speed sensors. Replacing the transmission conductor plate (which contains the speed sensors) will solve the problem. The plate retails for about $300. The total repair with parts and labor is approximately $900.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Marty