Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Mercedes benz s430: i have a 2000 Mercedes s430 that will not…

Customer Question
i have a 2000 Mercedes...
i have a 2000 Mercedes s430 that will not start at all, doesn't crank or make any noise. the battery is fully charged. to top it off it had an existing hydraulic issue that every 2 days it will bottom out. now I can't get it towed because of how low it sits and I cant start the car to activate the hydraulic pump to raise vehicle. All I need to to get it started then work on the other issue
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercedes
6/24/2015
Mercedes Mechanic: Billy, Trainer/Master tech. replied 2 years ago
Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Hello and Welcome!
I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry.
Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.

did you try using a spare key (if available)?
did you try putting the transmission lever on N (neutral)?
did you check for any blown fuses?

checked all the fuses and none seem to be blown,

I can't seem to move the shifter into any position I guess because there's no power, and my spare key does not fit anywhere but the car door

Hello Cam,

With ignition on, brake pedal depressed, you are unable to move the shifter lever?
do you have ignition lights on, with key in ignition? (or no power at all)?

with ignition on brake pedal depressed I am NOT able to move the shifter levelwith the ignition key on I have no power at all

Did you try another battery, or at least hooking jumper cables from another battery, to the existing one?
is the central locking (remote function) working?

I hope to pay battery charger to my existing battery and still doesn't work

what is a central locking remote?

So this is most likely a drained battery.

I would first try hooking a known good battery to the existing one, or to the jumper connectors in engine bay (whichever is easier for you).

PS: central locking remote, is when you use the key fob to lock or unlock from a distance (which obviously is not working).

Get back to me with your findings, so we proceed accordingly.

Regards,
Billy

I'm sorry my last message did not come through properly I hooked up a battery charger to my already fully charged battery and it didn't work, and my car remote works properly the only function it has Is to openand shut the door and to pop the trunk

Hello Cam,

My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience. I got caught up with another german dilemma in my shop.

This last message you sent changes direction. So we are sure that the battery is good, and there's power.

The problem now, is that the ignition switch is not operating properly, as long as:
- the fuses are good (i would double check)
- you have no lights on the instrument cluster when you turn ignition on (the instrument cluster stays off)

Kindly get back to me on these, so we continue our diagnostics properly, to pinpoint the problem. As parts on these vehicles are not cheap, the last thing we want is throwing parts at random.

Regards,
Billy
MB Paul
MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician