Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

C300: Pete. I have a 2008 Mercedes C300. It won't start.

Customer Question
Hi Pete. I have...
Hi Pete. I have a 2008 Mercedes C300. It won't start. Its not the battery. A battery charger won't start it. When I turn the key, it doesn't crank or even try to turn over. The map lights and and stereo come on. The gear shifter won't move. Is there something wrong with the key, or is it something else? It's sitting at the Mercedes dealership waiting to be checked out and I don't want them to screw me.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercedes
6/23/2015
Mercedes Mechanic: Pete, Mercedes Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Hi,my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to try to assist you with this.I may need more information in some cases to help with answering your question.I apologize for any delay.
This can be a fault with the electronic ignition switch and in some cases a fault with the electronic shifter.Your shifter has electronics at the base of it that can fail and when it fails this sends an incorrect signal to the computer which disables starting.This is more common then the electronic ignition switch.
It may be other possible components but most common are these two.In some cases it is just the key but usually if the key fails the key won't turn at all in the ignition.
Thanks Pete
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic