Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

C230: My 2006 C230 will not take freon from the low side to…

Customer Question
My 2006 C230 will not...
My 2006 C230 will not take freon from the low side to recharge the ac
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Mercedes
6/18/2015
Mercedes Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 3 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
HI,
Is the compressor engaging?
How do you know it is low and do you know exactly how many ounces it is low?
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 3 years ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Hello my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to help you , i strive for EXCELLENT service and nothing less.the compressor on these models are not a typical clutch style compressor they use a variable swash plate. There is a bulletin for the swash plate breakaway pulley to be broken due to a alternator clutch. The alternate has a one way clutch for a pulley and when the pulley fails it puts extra load on the belt drive system which in turn puts strain on the face of the compressor pulley causing it to break away. The break away pulley is designed so if the compressor fails the pulley system and the belt will not be damaged. You need to see if you can rotate the center 7mm stud on the compressor which will tell you if the compressor is seized or still works. You can replace the face of the compressor with dealer parts and also just replace the pulley of the alternator to check if the alternator pulley had siezed use a small flathead screwdriver and see if you can rotate the fan inside the front of the alternator. It should only rotate clockwise with ease. If it does not you will have to replace the pulley. Hope this information helps Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉
Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.
There is no change in the motor sound when the ac is turned on. I don't beloved the compressor is engaging and I don't know how low the freon is, I just know it's not blowing cool/cold air and my first thought was freon. All fuses have been checked and are working none are blown.
Have you read my post ? The compressor is not a on off compressor its variable. You will not hear a change in the engine.