Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

E320 4 Matic: i bought a 1998 E320 4matic everything seems

Customer Question
i bought a 1998 E320...
i bought a 1998 E320 4matic everything seems to be in order except the front fans they do not want to come on and the temp keeps creeping upto above 100 deg. when stopped in traffic. Can you illustrate the location of the fan relay, fuses if any and also explain the black tubing around the hubs of both fans, if they are supposed to get toasty in my case it does not happen. I would like to get information on parts required for the non operational fans.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercedes
6/15/2015
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 2 years ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** you please post the last 8 digits of your vin number so I can look up the correct diagrams for your car?

WX008249 here it is

Good morning, you should have a brown/white and a black/white wire going to the cooling fan. If you disconnect the fan and connect 12V to one wire and ground to the other and the fan does not turn on you simply have a bad cooling fan. There is a fan control module (N65/1) located at the front left of the engine compartment. I've attached a picture below. Fuse #20 powers the module. If your fans work when applying power and ground directly to the fan and if the fuse is good the problem will usually be the module. By the way, there is only one electric fan. The second fan is connected to the electric fan by a belt. The electric fan is part number 000 540 17 88 or you can purchase the double fan as an assembly. The part number for the double fan is 001 500 38 93. The fan control module is part number 025 545 32 32.

graphic

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty
where is the picture and location of the fuse
Hi, the fuse is located in the main fuse box under the hood. I've attached a picture below. You will need to copy and paste the link into your browser. I've also attached the picture of the module location again in case it didn't come through on my first reply.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/7vv0xh6ogcn166o/untitled.PNG
http://www.mediafire.com/view/ufc6zux6iuyszid/n65.PNG
Let me know if you need anything else.
Marty
Hi Marty
I peeked and peered all over the place no sight of N65/1. Is it possible it is located elsewhere? or is it possible to have some one removed it for testing and never put it back. It does not interfere with driving and at cruising speeds keep the interior cool. The coolant temperature when stopped keeps creeping up past 100 degrees.
Hi, on some of the models they put the fan control unit underneath the car on the front frame rail. Copy and paste the link below for the location. It sits approximately below the location shown in the first picture I gave you but it's underneath the car.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/a86p3nxie17hdw2/Capture.PNG
Let me know how you make out.
Marty
Marty
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician