Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

C240: Every time I come to a stop my 2001 Mercedes Benz C240

Customer Question
Every time I come to...
Every time I come to a stop my 2001 Mercedes Benz C240 cuts off. It starts back up but it cuts off again when I get a certain distance or stop again. Sometimes while driving it slows down on its own til it stops and sometimes it slows down then speed up again while driving.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercedes
6/14/2015
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 2 years ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Hello my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to help you , i strive for EXCELLENT service and nothing less. Is the check engine light on ? Were any parts replaced yet ?

The only thing reading out on my screen is my left light bulb. When I had it scanned it read out ambient air temperature sensor, MAP barometric pressure sensor and air flow meter/ mass air sensor.

ok, sounds like you have a air leak somewhere or the mass air flow is not reading correctly, the engine will have to be checked for vacuum leaks. if none are found replace the mass air flow sensor, hope this helps.

So you think it has an air flow problem eventhiugh the scanner read out three other sensors?

see the scanner does not tell you what is wrong, it tells you the systems that are having issues, and in mercedes if there is no air leak and fuel pressure is good most times its a bad mass air flow sensor.

When I change the mass air flow sensor and that does not work what else might possibly cause the car to cut off at every stop?

If the air Injector pump is bad, is that something I should be concerned about?

air injection pump only affects emissions, so noworries there. here is a super super easy way to determine mass air flow, unplug it, start it up and give it a few minutes to stabalize idle, then drive the car, if it acts up, then i want you to unplug the tan connector on the back of the top of the engine on the passenger side, it is the egr valve, then drive it again. whichever system is unplugged and the car runs fine, then that is the issue. also when the mass air flow is unplugged it will run a little different, so understand this,. that way you dont think you have more issues, but if the mass air flow is the fault it will run better without it. just drive it normal dont hot rod it cause the ecm will not run as smooth with the mass air flow unplugged. Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉

Keep in mind that rating me does not end the chat, it simply credits me for assisting, i will still be here to help if follow up information is needed , Lou
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician