Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

CLS 550: , getting a malfunction light on my 2007 CLS550.

Customer Question
Hello, getting a malfunction light...
Hello, getting a malfunction light on my 2007 CLS550. The code is a vehicle with and arrow upward. Also when I try to push the rise vehicle button nothing happens
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Mercedes
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/7/2015
Mercedes Mechanic: FIXITMAN, Master Technician replied 3 years ago
FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Hello, my name is***** for the question. If I am not online when you return please give me some time to get back to you. Can you tell me if the vehicle is sitting at the correct height?
yes it is. I just checked the fuse under the carpet/passenger side. With the fuse connected I hear a noise coming from the pump (grrrrr), with the fuse disconnected no noise - so the fuse must be OK.
As far as the relay under the hood, I don't have anything to check it, I pulled it out and plugged it back in.
It sounds like the compressor is turning off and on, but it is possible that you have a solenoid failure in the system. It is going to be hard to tell if the vehicle is sitting at the right height. You really need to take the car to a shop that can read Mercedes computer codes. If you bring those to me that will help can help.
Solenoid? Maybe i should just replace the air compressor then
See, I live in Hawaii on an outer island, no Mercedes place to go to
If the car appears to be at the right height then I would not suspect the compressor, especially if you have verified that it is turning on. The most common failure on this car is an air spring but that would typically result in a low corner of the vehicle. I have seen plenty of compressors fail on this car, but typically the car will not be at the correct level.
Thanks, ***** ***** the front driver side air shock a couple of years ago and the passenger on last year. I'll call around local mechanics and see if they have a Mercedes code reader
Please do as I would hate for you to replace anything that does not absolutely need it. Any high quality scan tool can be used for this.
If the relay is "sticky" would the car drop to the ground as well?
No necessarily. It would simply delay the compressor coming on which can cause a code.
So if I can't find someone to read the codes, changing the relay would be a good start :-)
That would be the best and least expensive place to start. Also make sure that the connection at the compressor is clean and tight. I would remove it and apply some dielectric grease to it just in case there is a connection issue.
OK thanks Bobby, I'll let you know Monday or Tuesday if someone was able to read codes- maybe you can double check them for me. Thank you!
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 3 years ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Hello my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to help you , i strive for EXCELLENT service and nothing less. if the compressor makes a noise then the relay and fuse are ok, is the message a white message or a red message?
message is white
but it seems that the compressor does not always kick in. For example, last night I tested: turning the car on and pressing the raise vehicle button, it did (about an inch). Then I pressed the button again to lower it; it lowered it. I waited a few minutes and tried again to raise vehicle but got nothing - the malfunction code did not come on during that time. It also seems that it doesn't raise the vehicle high like before, front and back.
ok, the system has a storage tank, so sometimes it will use the tank for the added air to save operation of the compressor. now the common failures in the system are the compressor and relay, the fuse is just a protection device. so what you need to do is listen to the compressor , if it is healthy it will make a slight hum noise as it runs, like a massage chair would so to say. if the compressor is going bad it will sound like a bunch of marbles in a soda can so to say. now the relay usually fails first. how the relay works is , it will get power from the control module to activate the compressor on small wires, then the relay closes another circuit or makes contact between a two circuits so to say for a higher amount of power on bigger wires to go to the compressor, now with the constant activating of the relay it will cause the contacts inside to burn or melt, so what happens is one of 2 things, the relay will close but not allow correct power to the compressor so it will not run, or 2 it will melt closed and keep the compressor on until it burns up. so if your compressor is sounding healthy it may just be the relay acting up. the white message means a few different things and the other expert was right about getting the fault codes read, but a white message just means there is a system fault whether it be taking too long to raise the car or too long to build pressure, that would indicate a failed compressor, if the car is not leaning or sagging then it tells me it is not a shock or a strut and it is localized to the compressor or relay failing. now when the message gets red that means the car is too low and needs to be towed . so if i were you i would definitely do 2 things, 1 change the relay and 2 get the codes read. that is the best route unless the compressor sounds nasty then the compressor is going to need replaced also . but to save time and money, codes are your best bet . hope this helps. Lou. i will not send this as a ANSWER as i do not want to take the credit away from the other expert , but i wanted to shed more light on the situation. lou
i have opted out, also i have responded to your other question you had posted, in the future if you wish to work with me that would be great, take care.
Perfect Gentlemen, thank you very much!
No problem. Hope it all works out.