Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

C 300: I too am looking at a 2008 mercedes c300 with 107k miles,

Customer Question
I too am looking at...
I too am looking at a 2008 mercedes c300 with 107k miles, 1 owner with 25 service records on file. The wholesaler is selling it for 13k as a trade in. I may be able to get the car at 12k out the door, possibly a little less. My current car is 1995 toyota camry with 288k miles on it so i am used to getting frequent repairs but tired of always wondering what patch work I have to do next now that I am expecting a baby. That said, I am concerned that if I purchase a car that appears to be well maintained with 107k miles....I will always end up in the shop and having to get work done...this time more expensive work. I won't mind paying for regular maint. but don't want to get out of hand. Do you recommend I even consider a car over 100k miles for the sake of the price and possible upkeep. Of course, I was going to take it to get a diagnostic from mercedes and have them confirm the service records too since I think the car was locally owned.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercedes
6/7/2015
Mercedes Mechanic: FIXITMAN, Master Technician replied 2 years ago
FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Hello, my name is***** for the question. If I am not online when you return please give me some time to get back to you. For safety and general reliability this Mercedes is a good car. The mileage does worry me a little. When these cars get up over the 100,000 mile mark they can have some issues with the internal engine components as well as the transmission. There are also other common issues with the electrical system that can cost an arm and a leg to repair. When it comes to this vehicle you could possibly end up with something that is going to cost quite a lot to maintain. Your Camry I am sure has given you years of good service, as this Mercedes will not typically provide you with the same service and will cost a lot more to maintain and repair over the years. If you insist on getting a Mercedes I would not recommend getting one over 60,000 miles. I hope this helps. Let me know if you need more help.
Thanks for your response. So I heard from other mercedes owners 100k miles isn't that bad on a 2008 c-class but the previous models are more difficult to manage. Basically, even if the car was well maintained with service records you still don't recommend a mercedes with 100k without the expectation on forking over potentially thousands of dollars on possible repairs.
Typically these cars will still be free of anything too serious at this mileage, but the regular maintenance and even brakes will put you at or over $1000. Everything on this car will be rather expensive.
FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician