Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Hey marty, I have a Mercedes 2002 S430 that the vacuum pump…

Customer Question
Hey marty, I have a...
Hey marty, I have a Mercedes 2002 S430 that the vacuum pump has blown. I suspected that it was the back passenger door actuator going bad because prior to it blowing it was real slow to unlock and sometimes I would have to manually unlock it. The dealer is telling me all of the actuators are bad. I have had a second opinion and they are not buying it that all are bad. Would it be common for all of the actuators including the trunk to go bad at one time?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Mercedes
6/4/2015
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 3 years ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Hi, no it is highly unlikely that all actuators are bad at the same time. If the vacuum pump is bad it would set fault codes for all of the door actuators. I'd replace the pump first then see which doors don't work. Most likely you will only need to replace the back passenger actuator. It's also possible that all of the problems were caused by a bad vacuum pump, including the sluggish rear door.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty

I neglected to tell you I have had the pump replaced and the system worked fine for one day then it blew again. That is when they were telling me all of the actuators are bad. I feel like it is the sluggish back door. They indicated the first time that it had a crack in the actuator and could need to be replaced. So after the pump blew a second time, I took it back in and a whole different service advisor stated that all were bad. I had an independent Mercedes tech look at it and he checked the trunk (apparently that one is easy to get to) and said there is nothing wrong with it. So long story short, after having the pump replaced already, if all the actuators were bad, the system most likely would not of held up for a day, I'm thinking I would not have made it out of the parking lot without the pump blowing, right?

Correct, I think you will find a single leak in one of the actuators or possibly in the seat bladders for the lumbar. I've had leaking seat bladders cause the pump to run continuously and burn it up. The technician should disconnect each line at the pump and check it for leakage with a hand operated vacuum pump. That's the best way of locating leaks in the system.