Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

380SL: My 1981 380SL won't fire when I try to cold start it.

Customer Question

My 1981 380SL won't fire when I try to cold start it. I'm sure fuel injection technology has changed since 1981, but is there a certain procedure I should be following to get it started reliably?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** way you start a CIS fuel injected Mercedes is with no pumping and no depressing of the gas pedal. Just crank the motor and the car should start. If it will not start that way you most likely have a bad warm up regulator or the overall fuel mixture is not adjusted correctly. You should get a CIS fuel pressure test performed to see if the warm up regulator is working properly and you should have the fuel mixture adjusted.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Marty