Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

S500: My mercedes benz S500 wont star after engine wash. Ignition

Customer Question
My mercedes benz S500 wont...
My mercedes benz S500 wont star after engine wash. Ignition turns on but no crank. Battery okay, no fault codes, all fuse and relay ok, also noticed gear shift indicator not displayed in the instrument cluster and vehicle is lowered.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercedes
5/31/2015
Mercedes Mechanic: Pete, Mercedes Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Hi,my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to try to assist you with this.I may need more information in some cases to help with answering your question.I apologize for any delay.
What I have seen fail/act up before and can cause this issue here is the left front SAM control module itself.This is under the hood on the drivers side next to the brake booster and is the component the fuses insert into.The fuses power the electronic shifter as well as other electronics like the suspension system.Most likely this had gotten wet and has become damaged internally needing replaced.
If a scan tool was used that was one that was unable to communicate with this SAM control module then no codes would show up.Make sure one is used that communicates with all computers.
I suspect the left front SAM needs replaced for this issue here.
Thanks Pete
Hi Pete,
I replaced the SAM, but the problem has not been resolved yet. Please advise. Thanks.
Ruben Sharma
Have you double checked to make sure no water is in any electrical components or connections under the hood?When the SAM was replaced was it programmed to the vehicle?
Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

I swapped the SAM from my other 2000 S430.

O.k.,that won't work. Unfortunately as it is already programmed to another vehicle.A new one would need installed or your other models in some cases can be programmed to the vehicle.In either case with a used or new one it has to be programmed to your vehicle with a dealers SDS machine.
Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic