Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

240D: Gentleman: I am the original owner of a 1976,

Customer Question
Gentleman: I am the original owner...
Gentleman:
I am the original owner of a 1976, 240D with a slight problem causing me to loose confidence in the car. Lately, when I pull the preglow starter knob, the preglow control light fail to come on. I have had all glow plugs checked and replaced and just recently, I had the Glow/Starter switch replaced. When I pull the preglow starter knob and the brake light and battery lights, on the instrument panel dim briefly, the car will start. If these two lights fail to dim the car will not start. If I advance the starter knob further, I will hear a slight ping, but the control light will not glow to start the car. I have had the car towed 240 miles to the dealership and the car started and the service adviser at the Mercedes shop has been unable to duplicate my concerns. I am the only owner and I feel there is something small we are all missing causing the problem. Is there any light you can shed on what my next step should be and your fee for this service? I can also forward pictures of the car if you request.
Thanks,
Paul
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercedes
5/29/2015
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 2 years ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** this just a pre-glow problem? Does the starter always work when you pull the switch?
MB Paul
MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician