Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Mercedes: . I have a 2008 gl450. My driver side door will…

Customer Question
Hello. I have a 2008...
Hello. I have a 2008 gl450. My driver side door will only lock or unlock manually. Any words of wisdom here?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Mercedes
5/24/2015
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 3 years ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Hello my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to help you , i strive for EXCELLENT service and nothing less. The door latch mechanism had failed. Now let me explain why they is it. The door latch wiring comes from the drivers door module also located on the door under the door panel. These latches are very problematic and are very common to fail. You may be able to put you ear to the door right under the handle where the latch is located and press the lock and unlock and you may even hear it cycle. It fails one of two ways , 1- electronically it will no longer operate the solenoid to move the lock linkage 2- the linkage will break internally so you will hear the noise but nothing will happen. Now there are no fused to check as the door control module controls the activation of everything on the door so if the mirrors and Windows lock button switches all work then most likely the module is ok. Only thing you can try is to unplug all the connections , reconnect and see if it helps but in my experience it will not. The latch will need to be replaced. And if you are the avid do it yourselfer this job is still pretty difficult. The inside of the metal frame of the door needs to come off and it comes out with the window regulator and latch as one piece and it is pretty difficult even for us that do it all the time. So I would recommend the dealer handle this as aftermarket shops tend to damage more than they do help. But again the latch needs to be replaced , it is very problematic and common to fail. Hope this information helps Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉
Great advice!! Any chance you have a part #. I have done this on my 500 and it wasn't fun.
The s class is a piece of cake compared to this one let me tell you. Yes get me your vin and I can get you the correct part number for sure !
A1647200935 should be the part number. the vin would tell me exact but per your year this is the only option i could find assuming you do not have keyless go hope this helps. Please rate OK/GOOD/EXCELLENT SERVICE if i have been helpful and let me know if i can be of anymore
assistance positive feedback and BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED , however do NOT
rate bad if you are not happy with my answer and please do NOT leave
negative or neutral feedback as it has a direct impact on me.THANKS,Lou.
I have taken my time to answer your question the best i could and i will continue to help if you need follow up information , all i ask is that you PLEASE take a second to rate my service so i may recieve my credit for assisting you. Thank you.