Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

E420: 1997 e420. Fixed leak in trans pan, but still no drive

Customer Question

1997 e420. Fixed leak in trans pan, but still no drive or reverse, after adding 3 quarts.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi, can you give me some background on the problem?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
?in addition to what I already told u?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How many quarts does it take and should we have had some engagement with only 3 quarts?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I drove the car home about 100 miles several months ago. It has just sat for the most part and then one day it would not go into any gear. The ground was soaked with trans fluid. Leak was at pan where bolt was stripped out. We did repair and began filling
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
All it said is that you fixed a leak at the pan. Did you remove the pan and replace the gasket? Did you also replace the filter? If you removed the pan you will need between 3 and 4 quarts of fluid but if the transmission was not shifting prior to repairing the leak you may need more than 4 quarts. You really should get the Mercedes dipstick to check the fluid correctly. I'd at least add another quart and see what happens. 5 quarts is the most I would expect you to have to add.
Let me know how you make out.
Marty
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The check engine light is on. Engine electronics. Could that have anything to with trans problem.
We did not remove pan. Just replaced bolt and threads.
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
The CEL is most likely related in some way but it won't cause the transmission not to move. You should inspect the connector to the transmission and see if it's contaminated with fluid. I'd also add 1 more quart and see if it tries to engage.
Let me know what happens.
Marty
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We tried adding one more quart but it started leaking out from fill tube area.
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Ok, that's no good then. You probably should drain the fluid into a clean container and start over. Too much fluid won't cause the problem you are having but you cannot leave it overfull. I'd get a Mercedes transmission dipstick and check the level properly. If the car does not move in forward or reverse you should make sure that the linkage is connected to the transmission. Also make sure that the driveshaft is connected. I've see the flange on the back of the transmission loosen in the past but it's not a common problem. I'd also inspect the electrical connector at the transmission. Unplug the connector and see if it's contaminated with fluid. If it is try cleaning it with brake cleaner and plug it back in and see if it engages in drive or reverse.
Marty
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, will do, but after I get a dip stick. Probably be Tuesday then before we can resume trouble shooting.
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Sounds good. Let me know if you need anything.
Marty
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, we checked connector and cleaned with brake fluid and checked drive shaft boot flange and still no engagement.
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi, have you checked the fluid level with the dipstick tool? Have you checked the shift linkage to be sure it was connected?