Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

E420: 1997 e420. Fixed leak in trans pan, but still no drive…

Customer Question
1997 e420. Fixed leak in...
1997 e420. Fixed leak in trans pan, but still no drive or reverse, after adding 3 quarts.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Mercedes
5/23/2015
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 3 years ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Hi, can you give me some background on the problem?
?in addition to what I already told u?
How many quarts does it take and should we have had some engagement with only 3 quarts?
I drove the car home about 100 miles several months ago. It has just sat for the most part and then one day it would not go into any gear. The ground was soaked with trans fluid. Leak was at pan where bolt was stripped out. We did repair and began filling
All it said is that you fixed a leak at the pan. Did you remove the pan and replace the gasket? Did you also replace the filter? If you removed the pan you will need between 3 and 4 quarts of fluid but if the transmission was not shifting prior to repairing the leak you may need more than 4 quarts. You really should get the Mercedes dipstick to check the fluid correctly. I'd at least add another quart and see what happens. 5 quarts is the most I would expect you to have to add.
Let me know how you make out.
Marty
The check engine light is on. Engine electronics. Could that have anything to with trans problem.
We did not remove pan. Just replaced bolt and threads.
The CEL is most likely related in some way but it won't cause the transmission not to move. You should inspect the connector to the transmission and see if it's contaminated with fluid. I'd also add 1 more quart and see if it tries to engage.
Let me know what happens.
Marty
We tried adding one more quart but it started leaking out from fill tube area.
Ok, that's no good then. You probably should drain the fluid into a clean container and start over. Too much fluid won't cause the problem you are having but you cannot leave it overfull. I'd get a Mercedes transmission dipstick and check the level properly. If the car does not move in forward or reverse you should make sure that the linkage is connected to the transmission. Also make sure that the driveshaft is connected. I've see the flange on the back of the transmission loosen in the past but it's not a common problem. I'd also inspect the electrical connector at the transmission. Unplug the connector and see if it's contaminated with fluid. If it is try cleaning it with brake cleaner and plug it back in and see if it engages in drive or reverse.
Marty
Ok, will do, but after I get a dip stick. Probably be Tuesday then before we can resume trouble shooting.
Sounds good. Let me know if you need anything.
Marty
Ok, we checked connector and cleaned with brake fluid and checked drive shaft boot flange and still no engagement.
Hi, have you checked the fluid level with the dipstick tool? Have you checked the shift linkage to be sure it was connected?