FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE DIESEL/AUTOMOTIVE
1627031

GA-sjb My Merceds C240 had a check engine light on and needs a smog

Customer Question

My Merceds C240 had a check engine light on and needs a smog test to register it. I took it to Mercedes where the service adviser reset the code for me but it went back on after driving it about 2 hours . My gas cap had been bad 4 quite a while. Since then I bought a new gas cap at Autozone and when I put it on it seemed to seat so much better. My problem now is that I reset the check engine light by taking the battery cables off but it needs to be driven now for I not sure how long in order to clear other codes that came related to the oxygen sensor and ?catylitic converter. I was told by the court not to drive the car because the registration is so long overdue . What now?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is Bobby. Since you recently powered down everything the system will still be in not ready mode. The only way to fix this is to drive it. It does usually take several hundred miles to reset this system but it has more to do with driving styles. You want to drive it around town, and on the highway and make fast stops and turn the car off and on between drives. This will reset it much faster. I hope this answers you question. Let me know if you need more help.
Expert:  Jody-cssm replied 2 years ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you.
http://www.justanswer.com/mercedes/92sub-merceds-c240-check-engine-light-needs-smog.html
Thank you, ***** Support Team.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.
Did you still need some help with this?